Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: Freefall to Fly by Rebekah Lyons

Rebekah Lyons takes readers with her through her journey of discovering a life of meaning, while encouraging other women to do the same. From her home in Atlanta to her new home in Manhattan she uncovers emotions that were crippling but did not destroy her when she left her friends and her familiar surroundings behind. She explains gracefully how women can sometimes lose or never discover other purposes and plans that God may have for them outside of caring for their children. She also explains how God planted talents and skills inside of her and gave her a more purposeful life.

I connected with this book at some levels because I know what it’s like to move from one state to another. It’s often hard to move forward because you feel frozen in a new, unfamiliar place. I am glad that Rebekah shared about some of her experiences of raising a child with special needs, I am also glad that she didn’t focus totally on that child and her other children because sometimes people get lost in putting too much focus on them when there are other purposes in their lives that God may want to accomplish. I think I sensed a connection and a separation in the lives of her and her family, where there were healthy connections but they were not so enmeshed in each other’s lives that Rebekah couldn’t be the person that she was supposed to be in other ways.  

I recommend this book to women who have children to help awaken new purposes that God may have in store for them that might be hidden. It will also help women who are not mothers discover that their life can be meaningful without children and may give them a push to start learning more about what purposes God may have for their lives, to discover more about who God created them to be and what he wants to accomplish through them.

I received this book free from Handlebar Publishing for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment