Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Review: Tikkun Olam Ted by Vivian Newman, Illustrated by Steve Mack

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

"Tikkun Olam Ted" is a beautiful story about a young boy who takes on small projects to help repair the world six days out of the week. On the Sabbath day he takes a break from all the work he does and rests, just like it teaches in the Bible. It's a very short story that can be read within five minutes or less to a child and carries a very long, lasting message.

It was interesting to read about what kind of work Ted did to repair the world during each of the six days. I really believe this will be an encouragement to many children to find ways that they can help repair the world during the week. In adults’ eyes the ways may seem small but to children they will most likely be large. The illustrated pictures brought the story more to life for me as well. 

This book was created for children ages 1-4. I think it would be good to have children those ages hear this story although I think children slightly older than that will be more able to handle acting on the message given in the book. I highly recommend this book for children whose parents want them to learn about Tikkun Olam while also observing the Sabbath each week.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment