Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Book Review: Outrageous Courage by Kris Vallotton and Jason Vallotton



Outrageous Courage is told in Tracy Evans’ voice although the authors are Kris and Jason Vallotton. It describes what life was like for her before she became a missionary, highlights training experiences that she went through to prepare her for the mission field, and then describes her life as a missionary in places such as an African orphanage, an Asian garbage dump, and a Mozambique prison. She uses some radical obedience in her relationship with God to reach out to sick, hurting people. As the book progresses, readers will understand better how she ended up being among hundreds of orphans who carry the HIV-positive sickness, and how she became a spiritual mother to many.

This book was an inspiration to me in a lot ways, since I feel like God has put me through some training experiences to fulfill some kind of purpose(s) that He wants me to follow in my life for His good and glory. I liked reading about the process of what brought Tracy to become a missionary. I also liked it when I read that Tracy asked God to choose her friends for her and He did bring people into her life, even though He sent her people whom she wasn’t expecting, people who were very different from her. She didn’t understand this at first. It made me realize that God will (and does) send us into other people’s lives at times, to be their friends. Those people sometimes don’t understand that we’re there to be friends with them, which is what Tracey also seemed to experience at times through the people she reached out to.

It surprised me to learn that one of the greatest needs (possibly the one greatest need) that they had was milk for the children she helped care for, even to the point where she would’ve rather been allowed to buy milk with some or all of the money that was donated to the ministry for other purposes (“…a week’s supply cost $2,300.” page 141). After I finished the book I read some of the words on the back cover; it warns that your life will be changed by what you read inside. I have to admit I feel kind of changed but I didn’t feel scared or intimidated by the story; this might be because God had prepared my heart for what I was going to read ahead of time.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free from Chosen Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment