Saturday, March 16, 2013

Book Blog Tour: Love in a Broken Vessel by Mesu Andrews

My Review of Love in a Broken Vessel:

Love in a Broken Vessel brings the Biblical story of Hosea and Gomer to life in a fictionalized way. Hosea agrees to marry Gomer when he receives a message from Yahweh (God) that he is to do so; everything falls into place and he pays the bride price for her. After they are married Gomer often seeks attention from other men when her husband is called away by Yahweh. Hosea discovers that it’s not so easy to love Gomer the way that a husband should, but discovers how to tap into the kind of love that Yahweh has for Israel which is also to be used towards his wife. This is used as an analogy throughout the novel. The novel reveals Biblical truth and expands readers’ minds on some of the unknowns of what could have also happened in this story of love and forgiveness between a husband and wife.

I have made the connection in the past about the story of Hosea and Gomer to Yahweh’s (God’s) love relationship for Israel but this story revealed to me more about just how deep Yahweh’s love is for them. It also helped me to better interpret the verses in the book of Hosea and some of the other chapters at a deeper level of understanding. I discerned in this story that Gomer was starved for an in-person relationship with her husband and when she couldn’t have that very often she went in other directions with other men.

I loved how Bible verses were listed before the start of the chapters. That encouraged me to pull out my Bible before I read the chapters so that I could get a foreshadowing of what the chapters were going to be about. As I read the chapters, something often came across in my reading that made me remember the Bible verse(s) I just read, at those times I often went back to those verses and had some “a ha!” moments, which were moments when something started making more sense to me. I also loved that Mesu Andrews did some of her research for this novel from the “Names of God Bible” (God’s Word Translation, Ann Spangler, General Editor), which is the main Bible that I use.

In my opinion, the Biblical account of Hosea and Gomer seemed well researched for this novel. I found it interesting that Jonah, Isaiah, Zechariah and some other people found in the Bible were brought into the story in ways that helped me to understand their parts of the Hosea and Gomer story better. This is the first novel by Mesu Andrews that I have read and reviewed and I hope that it isn’t the last…the story kept me interested until the very end and took me on the longest journey into the story of Hosea and Gomer that I have ever traveled before.

My Rating = 5 out of 5 stars


Available March 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.


I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 


Check out my interview this week with Mesu Andrews here: 

http://wordmachine-bookreviewtravels.blogspot.com/2013/03/author-interview-mesu-andrews-author-of.html 
 

Check out the Book Trailer for Love in a Broken Vessel:







No comments:

Post a Comment