Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review: A Rabbi Looks at the Last Days by Jonathan Bernis



A Rabbi Looks at the Last Days is a great resource for both Yeshua (Jesus)-following Jews and non-Jews to follow that focuses on putting the Biblical example of Romans 1:16 into practice, about reaching out to Jewish people first and then to Gentiles. Jonathan Bernis (a Messianic teacher) stresses that this Biblical model doesn’t make Gentiles less important to God, but that it has been set up by Him for a reason and it should be followed, not only in Messianic Judaism but also in other Yeshua (Jesus)-focused congregations/outreaches. It encourages followers with a heart for Israel and the Jewish people to find locations where the Jewish people are among the Nations, to come to them where they are and to bring them the Good News about their Messiah. The feasts that Israelites and non-Jews in Messianic Judaism often celebrate are described as well as preparing readers for Yeshua’s return now, since it will happen unexpectedly.

I was really encouraged through this book to pray about how I can reach out to Jewish people about Yeshua in ways that will not be offensive to them, and to also pray for them. It showed me that the Romans 1:16 Biblical model of reaching out to the Jewish person first often will bring Gentiles into my path to reach out to as well. I was shown that ministry to/for the Jews will not always be conflict-free and that there will probably be persecution of the Jewish people and possibly rejection from the Jewish people as I try to reach out to them. I heard what sounded like a sincere message from Jonathan to try to reach people in both Messianic Jewish congregations and churches with the message of reaching out to Jewish people first through the words of this book. He showed me that it's equally important to include both Jews and Gentiles in hearing the Good News, just that the Jewish people should be reached out to first. This reminded me of how Yeshua ran across a Gentile when he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel in Matthew 15:21-28. I think that is an important way that he showed us the Romans 1:16 model, through a short story with a huge meaning behind it.

I recommend this book to everybody that is/wants to be a follower of Yeshua, who has not already learned about the Romans 1:16 Biblical model of reaching out to Jewish people first and then to Gentiles and who would like to learn more about how to put it into practice.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

I received this book free from Chosen Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment