Sunday, February 17, 2013

Book Review: Next Door Savior by Max Lucado



Next Door Savior by Max Lucado draws a picture to readers about how they can look at Jesus, our Savior as their “Next Door Savior”. Each chapter lists a topic, subtopic, Scripture related to the topic/subtopic at the beginning of the chapter, Biblical and personal stories relating to those topic/subtopics, and more Scriptures relating to the topics/subtopics while those stories are being told. The topics seem to relate to words/phrases that people might connect with during today’s times, such as “Friend of Flops”, “Try Again”, “Tire Kicker to Car Buyer”, “Hope or Hype?”, etc. There are two sections in this book which include “No Person He Won’t Touch”, and “No Place He Won’t Go”. There is also a long discussion guide located at the back of the book.

When I heard the title “Next Door Savior” I thought about how Jesus can be/is so close to us that we can touch him at times, like we can often go and find him anytime we want to (to seek a friendship with). I kind of felt that the topics/subtopics were discussed in a way to reach people to connect with them in today’s times, and maybe not so much in a way that the times of the day were actually like in Jesus’ days on earth. That is probably good for people who cannot or do not want to make a connection to what the original times of Jesus were like.  I liked that most of the Scriptures for the topics/subtopics focused on the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, which helped me connect better to the topics being discussed.

I didn’t notice the discussion guide until I had finished reading all the chapters and the conclusion. It is listed on the contents page, although I missed it. I do not think I would have had time to read this book and work on the discussion guide questions but if I did have the time I would have liked to have seen the questions right after each chapter, since I didn’t catch that there was a discussion guide until later. Other readers might prefer for the discussion questions to stay right where they are, in the back of the book.

My rating of Next Door Savior= 4 out of 5 stars

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment