Saturday, February 16, 2013

Book Blog Tour: Rebekah by Jill Eileen Smith

Rebekah by Jill Eileen Smith is a fictionalized version of the Biblical story of Rebekah. It includes how Rebekah and Isaac met, Rebekah’s marriage to Isaac, life with her and Isaac’s family, Rebekah and Isaac’s struggles to have a child, the relationship with her twins Jacob and Esau, and some other struggles that were faced in Rebekah’s and Isaac’s life together. It is written in a way in which the author tried to stay as close as possible to Scripture, although there seems to not be much to work with in Scripture about this story. It also takes into account other parts of Scripture that relate to the story of Rebekah and Isaac, such as the story of Sarai/Sarah and Abram/Abraham. 


I haven’t dug that deeply into Scripture about the story of Rebekah so it was a blessing for me to read about it in this fictionalized format; it brought the story more alive to me. As I read some of the story in Scripture, I could see where parts of it matched the Biblical facts and how parts of it were fictionalized because it was unknown what happened at certain points. I didn’t make the connection that Isaac was Sarah’s (Sarai’s) son until I read far into the story, remembering back from the Biblical story of Sarah and Abraham. It was interesting to be able to hear Isaac’s input about his relationship with his parents, and his half brother, even though it was probably fictional. What was the most amazing to me in this story was how long Rebekah and Isaac continued to trust in the Lord before he finally gave them certain blessings.

This book would mostly likely benefit people who are already familiar with the Biblical story of Rebekah and for people who are just starting to learn about it. I believe it will help people to pick up on facts that they might have missed in the Biblical story and possibly expand their minds on the unknowns of the story.

Available February 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment