Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Book Review: Just Like Jesus: Devotional by Max Lucado



The Just Like Jesus Devotional reveals different parts of Jesus’ character and how people can strive to be more like him by developing those same character traits. Through the thirty days of devotionals there are Biblical examples and personal examples to help readers understand Jesus’ character traits better. It compares some ungodly human traits to godly character traits of Jesus at times so readers can compare how they might act to how Jesus would act instead. At the end of each devotional there is a “Thinking”, “Hearing”,  “Reflecting”, and “Speaking” section to help the readers answer questions, listen, reflect, and offers suggestions on what to pray to God about to help them progress in each of the areas.

I was excited to pull out this devotional book during many days, often more than one time each day! I wrote thoughts in my journal about what got my attention the most as I was reading it.  I felt like Jesus and I had an appointment to spend time with each other and he was showing me through the book how I can become more like him. I felt like I was really connecting with what was being taught in the book and hoped to finish it in time to request the main book version. I really liked the part of this devotional book that encouraged me to not just learn about Jesus but to seek him; it gave examples in the Bible of people who looked for him and wanted him in their presence. That showed me that head knowledge about Jesus is great but if we are just reading and learning about him and are not seeking him and inviting him into our presence we are missing out on precious time with him. Now that I am finished writing this review I can now say “I am finished.”, or "It is finished." like Max encouraged me in the book to say when I was finished with the assignment of reading (and reviewing) this book.

I recommend this book to people who are trying to learn more about the character traits of Jesus and who want to actively seek him and spend time with him.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://booksneeze®.com/> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment