Sunday, January 13, 2013

Book Review: The Air We Breathe by Christa Parrish

Molly Fisk's relationship with her adult friend Claire sometimes feels closer to her than her relationship with her mother. They are in each other’s lives during a time when they are hurting from losing loved ones and they need each other in different ways. Molly’s mom often monitors their visits together until something happens where they cannot meet with each other anymore. Claire goes where her mom leads her… Molly becomes isolated and is afraid to go outside. The novel starts out describing this place that they ended up and goes backward in time at points. It eventually unravels details about what led them to move in the first place and whether Molly will be able to go forward with healing in her life.

I liked that this story had a spiritual theme to it, some of the events centered around “Gee” as Molly called Jesus at first. I also liked how the chapters started off with who the chapter was about and the month and date; this immediately indicated the point of view of the person telling that part of the story (for each chapter). I don’t see adult mentors being placed very much in children’s lives around me, although I have heard about it. I am glad this story painted a picture of this type of relationship for me. The story also was good at describing how a person can act psychologically when they are hurt by people, in this case Molly didn’t want to leave her surroundings because she saw the world as an unsafe place and didn’t want to be hurt by anyone else. I feel like the The Air We Breathe is a good title because Molly didn’t get to breathe some of the natural air a lot of people are used to breathing during a season of her life and eventually she seemed to really want to breathe it again.

I love this type of story that weaves back and forth between characters and also goes back in time at different points.

I received this book free from Bethany House for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment