Friday, January 18, 2013

Audio Book Review: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

The Les Miserables story beautifully comes to life in this audio drama from Focus on the Family. Jean Valjean is released from prison after 19 years. He is cheated of the wages he earned in prison because of large deductions they took from him for trying to escape different times. With the meager wages he earned he tries to find his way back into the world but finds rejection and heartache waiting for him at first. As he moves forward and realizes that it doesn’t matter what the world thinks of him he obtains a good attitude and realizes that time given on earth is only a shadow of what is to come for people who have gained everlasting life. 

When Jean was released from prison the world seemed like it was very condemning and heartless for him. The title “ex-convict” that he gained didn’t give him a stamp of approval to be accepted in society. All he did to find himself in prison was steal a loaf of bread, and it wasn’t even for himself. It didn’t seem fair to him that the world was so unforgiving for such a small mistake. I liked how people were sent into his life to accept him and didn’t look at him the way most people did when he was first released. He seemed to allow God to use what happened to him to for God’s good and glory, which is something I hope that society will do as bad situations happen to us.

I loved the radio-theatre sound that Focus on the Family used in this audio drama. It brought the story to life for me through voices and sounds that made me feel at times like I had walked into the story and listened to it/watched it as it unfolded. 

*Recommended for children/adults over the age of 8.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of “Les Miserables” CD from Tyndale Publishing Company. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment