Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: An Angel By Her Side by Ruth Reid


There is a natural disaster in the Amish town that Katie Bender teaches and lives in during a time when school is in session. She and the children she teaches are forced to leave the school building and find shelter. A man named Seth seeks shelter in the same place as teacher Katie and the children after he frees a tangled up animal. He is a man who is in town to help his brother Amos. As they are going through this tragedy and try to overcome it an angelic visitor watches over and helps guide them. There is a Pennsylvania Dutch Glossary in the front of the book to help readers with random words that are used in the story and a Reading Group Guide in the back of the book as well.

At first it seemed kind of unusual to me that the story would start off with a tragedy, instead of it happening in the middle or at the end of the story. Since it happened as a part of this story, I’m glad it happened at the beginning because it helped me to learn a little bit about how hard it is to recover from a natural disaster. Katie and Seth seemed to not know how to treat each other after their time together in the shelter after the storm passed but their family members seemed to have a way of bringing them together, even if some of those family members didn’t want them to spend time together. In my opinion, it’s easy for the reader to figure out who the angelic visitor is and why he keeps showing up unexpectantly in places.

A bonus for me was how this book teaches about dyslexia. I believe it’s there to help educate people about what dyslexia is and how it affects people with and without the disability.

This is the third book I have read from the A Heaven on Earth series by Ruth Reid. I loved all three books in the series and I hope other people who have read the other books of the series will as well. I also believe it can be read and enjoyed as a stand alone novel.

My rating = 5 out of 5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.





No comments:

Post a Comment