Sunday, December 16, 2012

Book Review: A Clearing in the Wild by Jane Kirkpatrick

Emma and Christian want to take their relationship to the next level but their spiritual leader does not want to give them his approval. The people in their community in Missouri are dedicated to him. Both Emma and Christian are uncertain what the right thing to do is at first. They go against his advice and decide to go forward with their relationship anyway. As they go forward with their plans they run into obstacles that have either been put into their paths by their spiritual leader to make their lives more difficult or they could have happened as a part of God’s will for their lives, such as Christian being called away to a place during a time that isn’t very convenient.

Both Emma and Christian seem to yearn for a loving spiritual community, where it isn’t just about them but about the people in their spiritual community as well. I liked it that Emma really fought for what her heart desired, and it’s up to the readers to learn whether or not she was granted those desires. Anytime I read a fictional or true story about situations where no outside influences are allowed in a spiritual community it bothers me, although I don’t know for sure if God sets that up on purpose for a group of people to learn about a specific topic in a specific way or not. I do see the importance of people in a group learning the same material in class situations in congregations though. This story opened up my mind and heart more to wanting to be a part of a closer-knit spiritual group than I have ever been a part of before.

There is an interview with Jane Kirkpatrick in the back of the book that I think some readers will enjoy as well. This is the second book by Jane Kirkpatrick that I have read and I have a feeling that she is an author that many people will want to come back to, to read her future books.

My rating= 4.5 out of 5 stars

More Information about A Clearing in the Wild:
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?work=93262


Author Spotlight on Jane Kirkpatrick:
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/author-spotlight.php?authorid=15809

Visit Jane Kirkpatrick's Website:
http://www.jkbooks.com/

I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment