Thursday, November 15, 2012

Book Review: Our Southern Breeze by Daphene Jones

Our Southern Breeze is a memoir about Daphene Jones’ life. She is the twin sister of Deborah (Short) Hall. She explains hardships of her life with and without her twin sister Deborah, her other sister Gretchen, her children, etc. She shows readers how she bounced back into life during those hard times. She also explained how she found God, how the book title Our Southern Breeze came about, and shows what individuality is like in a twin’s life. She speaks a good deal about her vocation as well. There are black and white pictures shared in the back of the book of her, her family, and her friends.

I learned that this book was written to compliment the Same Kind of Different as Me story by Ron Hall. I have not read that story but hope to get to read it in the future. I was encouraged to read how Daphene handled life well during setbacks, she didn’t appear to wallow in her pain very much or at all like I do at times. My favorite part of the book was reading Daphene’s testimony of how she found/invited God into her life and I liked how the book is divided into two parts, before the encounter she had with God and afterwards. I didn’t notice the pictures in the back of the book until I had finished reading Daphene’s story and Daphene looked like a victor to me.

This book can be an encouragement to many people to keep moving forward in life even when there are setbacks. It shows that God is willing to give us new chances in life until we get his will for our lives right.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from BookCrash for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment