Thursday, November 8, 2012

Book Review: Emanuel and the Hanukkah Rescue by Heidi Smith Hyde, Illustrated by Jamel Akib

*****This review is meant for parents, teachers, and other people that work with children to read.*****

Emanuel is encouraged by his father to become a merchant like he is when he grows up. He thinks his father is timid and afraid and doesn’t want to become like him, instead he wants to become a captain of a ship at sea. He wonders why his father will not light the menorah candles in public and doesn’t understand his answer when he gives Emanuel one. Emanuel then sets himself out on a journey to try to escape the fears of the people around him.

I liked this story because I believe it will help some children to overcome their fears. Some children may understand the adventures in this story are make believe. On the other hand, some children might need it explained to them before, during, or after the story that it’s not okay to go run off to find an adventure when things aren’t going as they plan. I loved the ending of this story and I believe it will be an encouragement to many children that they don’t have to disguise who they are inside, and that they can just be themselves.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a free copy of this book from Kar-Ben Publishing. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment