Friday, November 16, 2012

DVD-Based Bible Study Kit Review: Chase by Jennie Allen


Chase is a women’s Bible study that encourages its participants to chase after the heart of God. It uses many examples about the life of David in Scripture and how we can compare what we are going through or will go through in life with what David experienced. Although a participant might find themselves taking this study with a small group of three to five people or a large group of over a hundred people, the ideal is for larger groups to break into small groups with a maximum of eight women although it is preferable to have less (the leader’s guide seems to encourage five people per small group). Each small group is encouraged to use a Chase kit, which includes a leader’s guide, a participant’s study guide, an eight session DVD, and a small box of Chase “Ask” conversation cards which have Scriptures related to the sessions and questions that can be asked during small group sessions, with additional study guides purchased separately. 

I first watched the introduction of this Bible study on the DVD before I did anything else and it really motivated me to stop and wonder if there is anything that I am chasing in life other than God. In comparing my study time with the participant’s guide and the DVD I connected better with the DVD teachings, which is why I think my heart still aches for a small group to meet with to work through this wonderful study with. I read the leader’s guide after I had finished reading the participant's guide and watched the DVD and I really liked the way it encouraged the leader to pray for the group and ask certain questions related to the sessions. I believe that the Chase “Ask” conversation cards will keep the group on topic since the cards are related to the session topics, and will also help the group members become real to each other.

I do hope that Jennie’s vision comes true about the places she can envision this study taking place. The vision she has is not restricted to congregations but goes much, much further. I encourage people who have the idea implanted in their minds to start a Chase study group to pray about it and go forward with making the idea a reality if God impresses it upon them to do so.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://booksneeze®.com/> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment