Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bible Review: The Gaither Homecoming Bible


The Gaither Homecoming Bible is a Bible that combines stories, pictures, and songs of people who have been a part of the Gaither Homecoming ministry. The New King James Version (NKJV) is the Bible version that is used. The first pages of the Bible include a place to write who the Bible is "Presented to", a "From Our Family to Yours" introduction, nine pages of Gaither ministry contributors, one page of Gaither homecoming performance pictures, two "Our Family Records" pages, one "Significant Events" page, "The Gaither Homecoming Bible" title page, the copyright page, and the "Contents" page that lists the Biblical books (these first pages are listed in this order in the Bible). About 10-20% of the Bible pages have a picture of a Gaither contributor with an encouraging story listed. There are notes at the bottom of some of the pages that contain Scriptures to further clarify what a passage means. The ending pages consist of an index of songs, acknowledgements of Gaither contributors, "60 Days Through the Bible with the Homecoming Family", and two blank lined pages probably for notes.

The style that The Gaither Homecoming ministry uses for singing face-to-face is my most-loved singing style so it caught my attention when I saw a Bible was being published in conjunction with their ministry, although I didn't know how/if my time reading it and connecting with the Lord would be affected. I read through the Scriptures of Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes, and Job to learn the layout of this Bible. To be honest, one of the things that bothered me was that the pictures of the Gaither Homecoming contributors distracted me as I was reading the Bible. The stories under their pictures seemed to relate to the Scripture(s) on the page or on the page beside it and those stories were very encouraging to me. One other thing that distracted me was that the index ("Contents" page) for the Biblical books was located behind the pictures of the Gaither Homecoming contributors when I thought it should have been listed before it. I didn't locate the index until a few days after I had been reading the Bible. I liked that this Bible is the NKJV because I have heard that is a well-liked translation and I began to like it as well. After a few weeks of reading this Bible it grew on me a little; it still distracts me to see pictures of the Gaither Homecoming contributors in the Bible as I am reading it but I started to think of it as a Bible within the story of the Gaither Homecoming ministry. I do see the real Bible part as being between the pages of all the Gaither Homecoming introductions and endings.

It was so hard to put a review together for The Gaither Homecoming Bible because if I would have reviewed the NKJV Bible and the Gaither Ministry information separately I would have probably given them both 5 stars each. Weighing all the factors that affected me during my time reading it I am going to have to give The Gaither Homecoming Bible 3.5 out of 5 stars.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this Bible free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment