Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Book Blog Tour: She's Got Issues by Nicole Unice

The She’s Got Issues book is a great resource to help women become real to themselves and to others about what issues they need to work on in the areas of control, insecurity, comparing themselves to others, fear, anger, and unforgiveness. It will expose the readers to broken areas inside of themselves, to not just look at and see the brokenness but to invite Jesus to come alongside them to heal these broken places inside of themselves. There are prayers, journaling exercises, group discussion questions, quotes, and video resource web links included throughout the book as well. The She’s Got Issues multimedia DVD is designed for small groups and is a great supplement to the She’s Got Issues book. Different group members on the DVD share their experiences in relation to the areas of control, insecurity, comparing themselves to others, fear, anger, and unforgiveness to coincide with the same issues discussed in the book. Nicole then models the small group experience while explaining each issue in greater detail.

A spiritual leader encouraged the congregation I was a part of one weekend soon before I read this book to look at ourselves in the mirror. He explained that we should try to notice what needs to be changed about ourselves and to see what we can do to make the change(s) we need in our lives. I believe God sent this book into my life to be that mirror. One thing that I learned in the book is that as I suffer through some issues in my life I have been blocked off from being as compassionate to people as I want to be.  Another thing I learned is that displaying anger righteously is better than some of the other ways we can display our anger.  The multimedia DVD expanded on what I learned in the book and helped me to pick up some new ideas that were different from the book or that I had missed. In the DVD I liked when Nicole explained that when we feel anxiety that can be a good time to start singing a new song in our hearts, like when we have a song stuck in our heads and we need to sing another song to stop singing it. This is also the first time I remember learning that we cannot have both mercy and justice; it’s either one or the other.

I hope that many women will be given an opportunity to read this book within a small group, if not it can also be read individually to help them as well. I believe that it can be used as a mirror in women’s lives to individually point out to them issues that they might not have yet discovered and to encourage them to invite Jesus into those areas of their lives so he can heal those broken places.

Disclosure of material connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book and multimedia DVD from Tyndale Publishing for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading Jill! So glad God's words spoke into your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete