Friday, September 14, 2012

Book Review: The Girl in the Glass by Susan Meissner



Meg has always wanted to visit Florence, Italy. Her father makes her believe that they will get to go together one day. She has hopes to go but is not sure that she can believe him. When a ticket, a cash card, and a note arrive from her father she has very little time to pack, find someone to take her to the airport, and get her to the airport on time. When Meg arrives in Florence hours later she is not prepared for the situation that she finds herself in. When she is in Florence she meets up with Sofia, a woman whose book she has been given the opportunity to read; Meg works for a publishing company and has an eye for noticing whether a book is good enough to be published or not. As Meg gets lost in Sofia’s story she also gets lost in her own while she is living her dream of being in Florence.

When we dream a dream it’s hard to tell sometimes if it’s coming from us, or if it’s something God put inside of us. Meg’s dream came alive but not in the way she had dreamed it, it didn’t have a good start to it since she was rushed to the airport to catch her flight to reach Florence but she went forward with it anyway. The story clearly showed to me that when we dream a dream that dream might happen but sometimes not in the way we dreamed it. Meg wanted the dream so much that she moved forward with it through difficulties. I loved Meg’s suggestions that she had for Sofia’s book. The descriptions of Florence, Italy in this story brought a city I have never visited alive.

I chose to review this book because I was part of the team to help choose the book cover. The book cover I voted on didn’t win and I wanted to read the book to learn how the book cover that was chosen matched the story. I choose a book cover with shattered glass, which seemed like it would have been fitting in some ways but I think the book cover that was chosen is also fitting because the book was also about a woman named Nora Orsini, the daughter of the murdered Isabella de’ Medici Orsini; her reflection is shown on the book cover that was chosen. Before each chapter there is a reflection about Nora.

My review rating= 4.5 out of 5 stars

I received this advanced readers copy of “The Girl in the Glass” free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment