Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Review: This Scarlet Cord by Joan Wolf

This Scarlet Cord is a fictional story about the Biblical character Rahab. It gives readers a different view of Rahab’s character than might have been explained to them before. Rehab was a Canaanite who often did not have free will in her life. She was chosen to be a hierodule for King Makamaron and it is up to the readers to find out whether or not Rahab wanted to take on that role or not. Sala is Hebrew and worships the one true God, the God of Israel. It is because of this that he doesn’t want to get too close to Rahab, although ever since he has known her he has wanted to protect her. Rahab becomes curious about the God Sala worships so she tests out whether or not he will listen to her prayers if she prays to him.

This fictionalized story about Rahab totally changed the view I had learned about her. When I come across her story in the book of Joshua in the future I will look at her differently now. I will try to motivate other people to dig into her story more deeply if they have the same understanding of her that I had. Sala’s witness about following the God of Israel touched many people in this story. Rahab is another example of someone that wasn’t born an Israelite that converted over to that way of life; it is another great example of how a person among the nations can become an Israelite in their heart and mind, if God so directs them to become one.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Booksneeze. I was not required to write a positive review, the opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I had seen this book and wondered about it. Thanks for your thoughts and the review. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Diane. I hope you enjoy it if you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete