Monday, July 2, 2012

Book Review: The Girl's Still Got It by Liz Curtis Higgs

The Girl’s Still Got It breaks down the entire Biblical book of Ruth in an understandable and humorous way. It explains how the book of Ruth was first told orally from storytellers before it was recorded in the Bible. Each verse is explained to open up readers’ minds to what the verse implies or might imply. At times it even shows comparisons of how different Bible translations differ with the wording in the book of Ruth. It also shows how the power of a good attitude affected Ruth and Naomi’s lives. There are discussion questions and a study guide located at the back of the book to enhance individual and group learning.

The Biblical book of Ruth is a story that I have connected well with for many years and I was glad to come across this book after a long period of time of not studying the book of Ruth very closely. It was hard for me to read the book’s humorous explanation of the book of Ruth as it was described at times because I’ve always looked at the book of Ruth more seriously. It appeared to me that this book was presented in the way that a storyteller would have told it orally, which I enjoyed. It opened my mind more to the book of Ruth in ways that it has not been opened before, for instance how some of the chapters in the book of Ruth opened and ended in completely opposite seasons of life, and how God can use anybody he wants to use for his good and glory. It also gave me peace of mind that Ruth was always a Moabite on the outside and what was most important is that she became a person of God on the inside.  

I recommend this book for people who connect well with the book of Ruth, or want to connect better with it.

My review= 4 out of 5 stars 

More Information on The Girl's Still Got It
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?isbn=9781578564484

Read Chapter 1 of The Girl's Still Got It Here:
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/blog/2012/03/28/sneak-peek-the-girls-still-got-it-by-liz-curtis-higgs/

Liz Curtis Higgs' Author Site:
http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/

The Girl's Still Got It Book Trailer:





View the humor the author expresses about the book of Ruth to help give you discernment if this book is for you or not:




Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this advanced reader’s copy of “The Girl’s Still Got It” free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group through their blogger’s book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.







No comments:

Post a Comment