Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Book Blog Tour: The Gifted by Ann H. Gabhart

Jessamine Brady became a part of a group of people among the Shaker religion when her grandmother died; they took her in although she has not yet reached the age where she can sign a contract about submitting to their beliefs. The Shaker religion holds onto beliefs that are very different from other religions in the world, such as they are not allowed to marry because they think that is a sin and they aren't allowed to draw pictures unless their hands are directed by the spirit. Tristan Cooper and Jessamine feel drawn to each other in spite of the Shaker rules about having impure thoughts about people from the opposite gender. Jessamine is torn between whether she should fully take on the ways of the Shakers or if she should hold onto the ways that her grandmother taught her.

At my first glance of the cover of this book I thought it was going to be an Amish novel, although I learned immediately upon reading the book that it is about another religion I have not heard of before called the Shaker religion. I enjoyed learning about the Shaker religion and how it is similar and different from other religions I am familiar with. I liked reading the journal entries from Sister Sophrena Prescott and the letters that were written by a couple of the characters in this book. I also liked the way that Jessamine treated a couple of characters that came back into her life, she seemed to be someone that forgave easily and didn’t hold grudges, which can be an encouragement to anybody that reads this book. 

Available July 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment