Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Book Blog Tour: Mary Magdalene by Diana Wallis Taylor

Mary Magdalene brings readers deeply into the Biblical story of Mary Magdalene, one of the women named "Mary" in the Bible who watched Jesus die a criminal's death, even though he wasn't a criminal. It is a fictionalized version of what very well could have happened in some instances with Mary, in addition to some truth about what is mentioned in the Bible about her. Readers will recognize parables and other truths that Jesus taught during his time of living as a human when he is brought into the story. They will also see a side of Mary that they might not have realized could have been there before Jesus healed her.

What I learned from this book is what Mary Magdalene’s life was probably like before, during, and after the time that Jesus was physically present in her life. It helped me also realize that even though we can’t see Jesus he will lead and walk with us if we allow him to. She was given a hard time from people about studying the Torah. I also never knew or imagined that Mary would have had seizures, and it was great to see her husband Nathan love her in sickness and in health. Now when I run across Mary in the Bible I will probably look at her like I understand better about who she was. There were a lot of life experiences that Mary faced and this story painted a clearer picture for me about how she relied on Jesus while those experiences occurred.

This book would be great for people who want to learn more about Mary Magdalene in a real and fictionalized way. It is a great addition to a Biblical character library of Biblical stories.  

Available June 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment