Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review: Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick

Where Lilacs Still Bloom is about a woman named Hulda Klager and her beautiful lilac garden. Although there are some fictionalized characters in this book it is based on a true story about her life. She learned how to plant and take care of a lilac garden even in the midst of her duties as wife, mother, and grandmother. Through the many pages of this book the readers will notice how Hulda possessed a generous, kind, and loving spirit to the people that were placed in her life. She discovers a way to have people come to her to share her garden. She also often gave people chances to help them plant their own lilac plants.

In the middle of caring for her lilac garden many tragedies occurred in Hulda’s life but somehow she had the drive to keep moving forward in spite of them and that was an encouragement to me, and her lilac garden helped her deal with those tragedies. Oftentimes she had people wondering if taking care of her beautiful lilac garden was too much of a distraction away from her family although I could understand that the lilac garden was as much a part of her as her family was, and it became part of her family members’ lives also. What I also liked reading about Hulda is that she gave people chances to help with her garden when a lot of other people in the world would have probably not given them those chances.

I am glad that this story was written so that people who didn’t know Hulda can be touched by her, even in her death. Hulda was definitely a humanitarian in my eyes and I believe this story will reach out to many people.

My rating of Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick= 5 out of 5 stars


I received this book free from Waterbrook Multomah for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment