Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Prize of My Heart by Lisa Norato

Lorena Huntley is the daughter of a shipbuilder and takes care of her brother, Drew. He was adopted by her father after he was abandoned. Captain Brogan Talvis was in an orphan asylum when he was a child. He was scolded for things like giving his food away to a starving alley cat and holding a new orphan in his arms as she cried. He has a deep attachment to Drew that Lorena can’t totally understand. Lorena sponsors a ship confidentially after she was asked by Brogan. Brogan started having feelings for Lorena after he asks her to sponsor the ship, although he doesn’t want to be swayed by charm and beauty. When one of the characters in this book becomes missing the story moves into a series of events that will most likely keep readers tuned in until the very end.

I started to really connect with this story after learning more about the background of the characters. There were many examples of people who I felt had “prizes of their hearts” in this story; to me these prizes were the ship, Drew’s doll that he named Captain Briggs, Brogan’s son, Lorena’s brother, etc. I didn’t think that there was enough grief for some of the people that lost their lives, it was like nobody cared very much in the story that they died. One minute they were there and the next they lost their lives. It didn’t seem to me like they were really mentioned much after that, like they weren’t important even though they held important roles in the story. There were many different events that occurred that kept me happily turning the pages throughout this story though and I loved the unpredictable ending.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review. Hope you have a great week! :O)

    ReplyDelete