Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Blog Tour: Working Successfully with Screwed-Up People by Elizabeth B. Brown


Working Successfully with Screwed-Up People reaches out to people who are a part of the work world culture. It helps people to learn how to communicate better with people in their work world who are different than they are, and with people who are quite possibly “screwed-up”. It also gives readers discernment as to whether they are one of the difficult people in their work world. It also describes that your work should not feel like work...it should be something that you have a passion for and enjoy doing and that people should not define themselves by the reactions of others. Stress and the effects it has on your body is also touched upon as well as what often happens to people who retire early.

I like that this book explained that fitting into company culture is important and that when you are not on the same page as your company in the areas of morals, it is sometimes the right time to move on. I also like how it stresses that if you feel like you are “working” and not enjoying what you are doing that it adds a lot of unhappy hours to your week. The only thing I had a little bit of a hard time with in this book is that when people are hard to communicate with I don’t think we should look at them as being impossible to communicate with; they might be disabled in communicating verbally but have another way that they can communicate well. By reading this book, I came to the realization that in one way or another I think all of us are “screwed-up”, and if we look hard enough we can find something good in every person we work with. I was grateful to hear about the sandwich approach...about how when we are about to criticize someone, we should sandwich the criticism with positives. I have learned a little bit about that before but it described a new level of understanding about that for me in this book. I also like how it is explained that people often dismiss people who are different than they are and encourages people to find a place for them. And most importantly, we should often ask others for a hand up, instead of a handout.

This would most likely be a good resource for any employee to own, no matter what their area of specialty in the work world is. I think it also would be a good ice-breaker to use for employee training for employees that are entering a difficult line of work with a lot of different types of people.

Available May 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment