Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: The Daughter's Walk by Jane Kirkpatrick

The Daughter’s Walk is based on a true story of a 3,500 mile walk that Helga and Clara Estby took from Spokane, Washington to New York city to try to save their family farm, which turned into a 7,000 mile walk by the time they had walked home. This story becomes fictionalized when the author paints a picture to the readers of what might have happened during and after the Estby’s journey. The mother and daughter team start out eating hardtack and eggs, sleeping in unsafe places and from there they depend on whatever food and shelter comes their way. There is a map of their journey at the beginning of the book and a reading guide in the back of the book to help readers visualize and think about what happened before, during, and after their journey.

I didn't pick up on the fact that this novel is based on a true story until the end, and that might have affected my thoughts on the book as I was reading it. If I had realized that I would have read it from a different perspective, understanding I was reading about a real family. The author does explain a little bit on the back cover of the book that it is based on a true story, I just didn't pick up on it until later. At first I imagined that this novel would mostly cover the journey of the 7,000 mile walk that Helga and Clara Estby took but the walk took up a very short portion of the book. The story explains more about what happened to Helga, Clara, and their family after the walk took place than it does focusing on the walk itself. At first I had trouble adjusting to this but then I realized that the effect the walk had on the family was more important than reading about just the walk. This story showed me that no family is perfect and that we have to accept life as it's given to us.

It was very creative of the author to write this story they way that she did. This book would probably be most enjoyed by both people who like reading memoirs and/or historical fiction novels.

I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Read Chapter 1 Here: http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/blog/2010/01/12/sneak-peek-the-daughters-walk-by-jane-kirkpatrick/

About Jane Kirkpatrick: http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/author-spotlight.php?authorid=15809

Book Trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment