Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Review: Brush of Angel's Wings by Ruth Reid

Rachel Hartzler is twenty-one and hasn’t been asked by a man to attend a singing yet, which makes her feel that her chances of getting married are very slim. She is also stuck in an Amish world where men don’t really want to marry women we can’t cook that well, and she is not known as a very good cook, even though she tries her best. Jordan Engles and Rachel are friends. He is not Amish and doesn’t know if he ever will be. Rachel sees this as a dead-end for their relationship going past friendship. When there is an unexpected tragedy in Rachel’s family, some womanly traits flow out her that her family and friends possibly don’t know are there.

In this story, I liked how Rachel’s father gave her hope of marrying in the future by telling her his story of how he and her mom didn’t get married until she was twenty-six. It was interesting to me how Jordan pretended to like Rachel’s cooking; I think maybe he did this to encourage people to give her cooking a chance, because she might have not had the opportunity to cook as much as the other women did. There are two angels in this story (a good and a bad angel), compared to one that I remember being in the first story in this series. I loved how Rachel sought God’s will when she was presented with a decision that would change her life forever, and how she waited on his timing for an answer.

This is the second book in the “Heaven on Earth” series. I read the first book in the “Heaven on Earth” series as well and I really believe this book can be read as a stand alone novel since I had forgotten much about what happened in the first novel. There were some references as to what happened in the first novel, I didn’t get lost with all the new characters, and I didn’t read anything that caused me to need to go back and reread anything from the first novel. I am looking forward to the possibility of reading new novels from this series in the future.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment