Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book Review: The Captive Heart by Dale Cramer


Caleb and Martha Bender are parents to two boys and eight girls. They live in Mexico, snuggled inside an Amish colony and in a city where their school-aged children attend school with others who like to steal. This makes it hard to determine for them if the Amish children should mix with the other students or if they are there to teach them higher moral values. Domingo is a Mexican man who supports the Amish but doesn't think he should get too close to Caleb and Martha's daughter Miriam, who he has feelings for but he doesn't believe in her God. A few traumas occur during this story, which cause a lot of lives to become turned upside down and some of those lives will never be the same again.

The reason I was interested in reading this novel is because I had never heard of Amish people living in Mexico before and I was curious to understand what life would be like for them there. I don’t remember hearing the word “Englisher” used at all, so I came to the realization that the Amish people in this story considered the people they were living with in Mexico to be “Mexicans” instead of “Englishers”. There were some crisis situations that occurred in this story and I liked to try to figure out in my mind how the people that were trapped in them could get free from them.

The ending of this second book in “The Daughters of Caleb Bender” series will keep people hanging on for the next novel in the series.

I received this book free from Bethany House for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment