Monday, February 6, 2012

Book Review: Then Sings My Soul, Book 3 by Robert J. Morgan

Then Sings My Soul, Book 3 uncovers a lot of interesting stories behind old and new music we’ve heard within our congregations. It teaches how people can read, memorize, meditate on, lean on, play, pray, sing, proclaim, and quote the hymns. There is also a section that explains that music can be therapeutic to people who feel sick and sorrowful because music has the ability to uplift our spirits. It also encourages people to appreciate all eras of music so that we don’t forget the old hymns and like the new ones, also; which can help us all worship together in unity.

I stood amazed to be able to learn that some music that I thought of as newer music is actually older music, such as “I Am Not Skilled to Understand”, which was written by Dorothy Day Greenwell in 1873. It was also interesting to learn that English-speaking Christians used to own their own hymn books just as people own their own Bibles today. The hymn books could be considered the ordinary person’s systematic theology books, carried along with their Bibles. Matthew 13:52 (about bringing new and old things from a treasure chest) was highlighted at one point in this book and I’m going to try to remember that verse each time I find myself liking one era of music more than another because it is and hopefully will continue to be an encouragement to me to appreciate all eras of music.

I think one of the most important pieces of information that I learned from this book, although I don't remember even reading it with words, is that worship music unites us in Messiah’s body, at least probably most of the time. I think this is because there is not a focus on denominations within worship songs (or most of them) and that we are purely singing about Jesus and God with the words that come from our mouths with most worship songs.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through booksneeze.com (I’m also a booksneeze blogger) I’m releasing an e-book at the beginning of next month. "The 6:33 Piano Teacher, How to teach piano for the glory of God." It’s for Christians who have thought about teaching music lessons. If this is something you might be willing to review for me, please e-mail me at lessonsfromivy at gmail dot com. I'm a relatively new author so I will take all the reviews I can get : )

    ReplyDelete