Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: Twelve Wisdom Steps by Rev. Dr. Andrea Travers

Twelve Wisdom Steps is a book that shows how the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous intersect with the wisdom traditions of Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Taoism, Cosmology, Native American, and Hinduism. Rev. Dr. Andrea Travers breaks down all twelve steps by listing each step, giving a definition of each step, the unifying principal for each step, and a definition of how each step is a part of the wisdom traditions. She also focuses a lot on the website she created that shows the similarities of the twelve wisdom steps with these wisdom traditions as well.

I liked the parts of this book where the author spoke about how Christianity and Judaism incorporate the twelve wisdom steps the most because those are the two wisdom traditions that I am the most familiar with. The book did give me more of an insight to the story of how the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous were created. The author also did a great job of explaining what the twelve steps actually mean by breaking them down in a way that I could understand them better. One reason I wanted to read this book is because I belong to a twelve step group that helps people recover from loss of loved ones and I was thinking that this book would help me have better discernment if I should continue with the program or not. I believe that this book has moved me a step closer to making a decision.

This book can help people discern better about whether they should join a twelve step group, either through Alcoholics Anonymous or one of the groups that uses the twelve steps such as Narcotics Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, Cocaine Anonymous, Nicotine Anonymous, etc. It can also help people learn the deeper meanings of the twelve steps.


I received a complimentary copy of “Twelve Wisdom Steps” as a member of the Dorrance Publishing Book Review Team. Visit dorrancebookstore.com to learn how you can become a member of the Book Review Team.

Where you can order Twelve Wisdom Steps by Rev. Dr. Andrea Travers:


http://dorrance.stores.yahoo.net/twwistunprof.htmlBook

No comments:

Post a Comment