Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book Review: I Am A Follower by Leonard Sweet

I Am A Follower teaches that there is too much emphasis on making leaders instead of making followers in the body of Christ. It speaks about how congregations are modeling themselves after corporations with leadership figures instead of how Jesus explained what congregations should look like in the Bible. Jesus is our one and only leader and his followers should make room to let other people be followers also. It also describes how discipleship is where all the disciples are in the same boat, Jesus is the captain, and that oftentimes congregations attract a congregation of people instead of a "Christbody" community.

I learned so much from this book, these were the highlights for me...

Jesus was a different kind of rabbi than the norm. He invited people to be his disciples and other rabbis waited to be approached by young men who asked to be under their teaching. Jesus allowed women to be followers. Jesus went against what were the norms of the time in these ways. The first followers had a different way about them in the way that they treated both insiders and outsiders. They can be considered followers who belonged to "The Way" (the way of Christ, Acts 9:2, 19:23). Followers make the way distinguishable for other followers, and they are followable. The phrase "First Followers" is used a lot in the book, which makes me think that followers should model themselves after the first followers that existed.

And also...


Strength is based on leadership culture; weakness is based on followership culture, which is why we are told to boast about our weaknesses, because weaknesses are used for our callings so others can see it was nothing we accomplished on our own but through Jesus. Others are blessed naturally through our strengths but are blessed supernaturally through our weaknesses.

And most importantly...

This book teaches about the characteristics of followers. I don't want to list them all here to give away what the book teaches in this area but the basis of followership should be that it starts, stays, goes, and ends with Jesus and it requires a follow-me-as-I-follow-Christ mentor-apprentice relationship.

This is the most different kind of book I have ever read; I found myself on the same page as the author throughout a lot of the book though. It might possibly open one's mind to thinking differently about many subject areas discussed then they have thought before.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. thanks for the great review. Hugs and have a great weekend! :O)

    ReplyDelete