Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: The Christmas Signing by Cindy Woodsmall

I helped promote a contest for this book on my book blog last month, which is the reason I agreed to review this book when I was given the opportunity. I am glad I did because I had a hard time following the first book I read by the same author and I had no problems following this one, so it showed me that I can connect with some books that this author writes, which I’m happy about.

At the start of The Christmas Singing Mattie is still recovering over the break-up of her and her past boyfriend Gideon. She moved to Ohio to get away from him and to start a cake business. It was hard for her to be away from her Maam but she is healthy enough to go on with her life without her. Mattie's cake business and life with her new boyfriend Sol are going well in their eyes until a tragedy strikes. Once again Mattie needs to make some new decisions because her life is being forced to go in a new direction, at least for a little while.

The Christmas Singing didn't seem to have much to do with Christmas throughout most of the book, other than the mention of the upcoming Christmas Singing event in the story, which makes me believe that the Amish don't focus as much on the details of Christmas as Englishers do. Christmas presents were not talked about until around the end of the book. I like that there is an example in the book about how the Amish reached out to non-Amish people to help build good relations with them, which is something I have noticed in other Amish books.

One of the lessons I learned in this book is how to better determine which broken/damaged relationships in our lives are worth restoring, and each person in the world might have a different opinion about which relationships are worth restoring to them.

***A special bonus with this book is that it includes a couple of cake recipes.

See the first chapter of The Christmas Signing here:


http://www.scribd.com/doc/69473983/The-Christmas-Singing-Chapter-1-Excerpt






Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

2 comments:

  1. I just reviewed this book today on my blog too. Hugs and have a Happy New Year! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your review and I also agree this book would make a good gift. It sure does seem like a book you would read the week or the week after Christmas. Hugs and Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete