Wednesday, December 28, 2011

DVD Review: The Shunning



I found myself at Blockbuster Video today because someone gave me a gift card to rent a film. This film looked kind of interesting to me because I have reviewed one of Beverly Lewis’ books before and I thought it would be interesting to see one of her books acted out in a film.

The Shunning film based on the book by Beverly Lewis:

Katie Lapp was raised in an Amish family from Hickory Hollow in Lancaster County and has a love of English songs in her heart. She doesn't want to disappoint her family about her love of music but she also wants to be who God made her to be. She is engaged to marry Bishop John but is unsure if she can be the kind of wife he wants her to be. An unexpected English person comes into the Lapp's lives which causes turmoil in their family because they have to dig up a deep family secret that has been buried for many years.

This film has a lot of special themes and I believe that one can only get the full benefit by watching the whole film. With the title "The Shunning" a person can probably guess that one of the themes is "being shunned" and this film gives a person a better understanding about what an Amish person, or any person who doesn't belong to certain religion may feel when they are not included in their lives because they are not from the same religion as they are. The unpeacefulness one has in their soul because they are trying to be pulled away from who God wants them to be is something also deeply expressed through this film.

I recommend this film to anybody that likes Amish fiction, especially if they have been reading Amish fiction books for awhile and want to see what they have been imagining come to life a little bit more through the big screen. This is the first Amish film I can remember watching and it was helpful to me to watch it after I had gotten used to some of the Amish language I have learned from novels, otherwise I might have not connected as well to it. I also think it would be good for Christ-followers to watch this film to see if they have any of the "shunning" traits shown and to try to possibly think of more ways to promote unity in the body of Christ after watching it.




No comments:

Post a Comment