Sunday, December 4, 2011

Book Review: Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy


Reclaiming Lily is about a Chinese girl who is adopted at a young age by Americans. The American family travels to China to find the girl who they think is just right for them to adopt and name her "Joy". Joy feels kind of disconnected in her adopted family and starts possessing a rebellious spirit in later years. Years after Lily (Joy) was adopted her sister finds her because she is concerned that she has inherited a disease that their mother had called PKD (Polycystic Kidney Disease). After this family member finds her Lily is happy that she has a family member that she can now connect with but also seems to develop a new kind of respect for her adoptive parents.

This fiction story can help open up the eyes to people about what can happen after an adoption process, even years after a child is adopted. I always thought that most adoptive children would be grateful that a family would adopt them but I've recently been hearing true stories that sometimes these children feel disconnected to their adoptive families, like I've also learned through this story about Lily. Readers will also learn about some of the hardships that Chinese people might go through in the United States. This story was inspired by two friends who had PKD, and I believe it was written to help others with the disease as well.

For some reason I had a hard time connecting to what was going on in the story at certain points, even though I like stories about people adopting children and learning about medical-related issues. I connected well with the story until around the middle of the book and then I got lost in the storyline somehow. It should be an inspiration to many people though because there are a lot of people who seemed to have connected well with it; it just didn’t seem to be written in a style of writing that I follow very well or there were too many details for me to be able to keep up with.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Bethany House Publishers for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment