Thursday, December 22, 2011

Book Review: The Essential Guide to Healing by Bill Johnson and Randy Clark


The purpose of The Essential Guide to Healing is to show the body of Christ that we are supposed to follow in Jesus’ footsteps of being used to heal the sick, and to also show how praying for healing has been done away with in parts of the body of Christ based on what has been taught to us. Acts 17:11 (about the character of the Bereans) is used as the Biblical foundation. This book goes into a lot of detail about how healing is Biblical and how some people have lost their faith that God will heal people. What is believed to be false origins of non-healing beliefs of different types of congregations are explained. Each chapter includes the name of the author who wrote it, so the reader will always know if it was written by Bill or Randy. One important note made in the book is to know that the prayer models listed are not believed to be the only effective ways to pray.

Some of the key things that I learned are that "the Lord’s Prayer" in Matthew 6:9-13 is an apostolic prayer and that the apostles wrote 59 percent of the New Testament and non-apostles wrote the other 41 percent. The “God who heals” (Yahweh Ropheka as listed in my Bible, or Jehovah Rapha) from Exodus 15:26 was the name of God that was emphasized on. It was also interesting to learn that Jesus (Yeshua) healed everybody who came to him and that if we are so willing to lead people to Jesus through prayer why would we not think that prayers for healing would not be as powerful if they are prayed effectively, such as by praying for the sicknesses to leave in Jesus’ name? We should also keep in mind that if the prayers we pray don’t move us they most likely will not move God.

This book moved me up a step towards understanding more about God’s character of healing. It would be a good resource for people to read who have lost faith that God does heal, has healed, and will continue to heal through the people he appoints to lead people to healing.

I received this book free from Chosen Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment