Monday, November 21, 2011

Book Review: A Good and Perfect Fit by Amy Julia Becker


A Good and Perfect Gift is a true story about Amy Julia and Peter Becker and their child Penny that was diagnosed with Down syndrome after her birth. At first they struggled with the diagnoses and gradually as time moves forward you can see how the fact that Penny has Down syndrome becomes normal for them. Amy Julia seems to struggle more than Peter with the realization that Penny is going to grow up with some social and educational delays and will need medical attention in various areas. As the story progresses, Amy Julia explains that Down syndrome is a part of Penny but that it doesn’t define her as a person, and if they took away the Down syndrome inside of her they would be taking away Penny.

One of the most amazing parts of this story for me was learning that Penny was taught sign language so that she could communicate with others better. Sign language is not easy for some people to pick up so that shows how intelligent Penny is in the sign language area. This story is another example for me about how it seems like God blesses people with Down syndrome with extra doses of love inside of them because of harder conditions that they face than people without Down syndrome. I feel like Amy Julia did a great job of explaining what a wonderful gift God gave them with having Penny as their daughter.

As a person who works with children with Down syndrome occasionally I consider it a gift when God places children with Down syndrome and stories like this one about Penny in my life; it think it’s because of the deep love and high moral standards that these children usually express. I think everybody could benefit in some way from reading this story, therefore, I recommend it to anybody that wants to learn more about children with Down syndrome.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from Bethany House Publishers for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment