Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Book Blog Tour: The Names of God Bible edited by Ann Spangler

The Names of God Bible is from the God’s Word Translation. The purpose of this Bible is to translate the original Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic Bible texts to their closest natural English equivalent. It lists different names for God in Hebrew-English throughout the Bible. It lists the key names for God in each Bible book as well.

Additional Features Include:

• An alphabetical/numerical list of the Hebrew-English names for God and the English translations.
• An alphabetical/numerical listing of the Bible books is listed at the beginning of the Bible along with an original Bible book content page.
• Some original Hebrew is used during readings where key Scriptures are explained within the Bible books.
• Devotionals.
• A one year daily reading plan.

As I ran across the key names for God in each Bible book, I went back to the beginning of each Bible book and looked at the English translation in the “Key Names of God” translation list, which was nice. I also loved that there was a place at the beginning of the Bible where the chapters were listed in alphabetical order.

Something that was different for me with this Bible than with any other Bible I remember reading was that the word “kindness” was used for the word “grace” in a lot of verses that I came across. There was a symbol beside the new word which took you to a key at the bottom of the page explaining that the word "grace" had been substituted. I don’t think I would have noticed that this soon if I hadn’t been reading a book where they were describing what God’s grace means.

What I really loved about this Bible is that Jesus’ Hebrew name “Yeshua” was used. Reading the Hebrew names of God, such as "Yahweh", "El Shadday", "Qedosh Yisrael", and "Abba" added to my time with God as I was studying. It was interesting to read these names within the Bible text knowing that they each have an important significance about God.

This seems like it would be a good Bible for people that want to start learning more Hebrew-related words for God. I think it would also be a good foundation for people that want to eventually start reading Bibles that contain more Hebrew language.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this Bible free from Revell for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

The Names of God Bible Overview:



The God's Word Translation Process:


No comments:

Post a Comment