Sunday, October 9, 2011

Book Review: The Harvest of Grace by Cindy Woodsmall

The Harvest of Grace is the third novel from the Ada’s House series.

Sylvia Fisher moves far from her home to take care of a farm that is in need of care. Aaron Blank is a recovering alcoholic who returns home to the family farm, he wants to be given another chance from his father but is having a hard time receiving forgiveness from him. Aaron has difficulty understanding the fact that Sylvia will be working on the farm and that his parents like her so much. This story is full of a lot of other Amish relationships as well, such as Michael and Dora, Jonathan and Deborah, Grey and Lena, and Cara and Ephraim.

I appreciated the prologue of the first two novels that were given before this novel started. There is a description of the characters in the back of the book that was also introduced at the end of this prologue that was helpful.

From the perspective of a reader starting with the third novel in the Ada’s House series: I got lost in this story with all the different characters in this book. This might have been because I haven’t read the other books in the series, or because I have a hard time processing a lot of details at once. It seemed like I was reading several stories in one and that each set of stories kept skipping around. It also seemed like there were a lot of main characters in the book, and the way the book description read it seemed to me like Sylvia and Aaron were supposed to be the main characters.

One of the great things about the Amish that I learned from reading this book is that each Amish and Mennonite group has their own style of head coverings that they wear and they dress differently.

From a new-to-this-series reader: I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. If I am ever able to read the other books in this series, I may go back and review it again and may give it an entirely different rating.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment